One of my favourite meals in the day is merienda- a quintessentially Filipino meal. Merienda hits the sweet spot between lunch and dinner and has to satiate you enough to be full, but still be able to enjoy dinner. One of my best memories as a child was eating merienda with my yayas in the kitchen. I always looked forward to what they would make. I’ve taken a childhood favourite, minatamis and converted it to pack a nutritional punch!
- 6 pc saging na saba, sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups almond milk or any nut milk
- 1 cup dragon fruit or any fresh fruit
- option:nuts to top
Slice up the saging saba.
In a pot, boil the water. When at boiling point, add the sliced saba. Stew for 5 minutes.
Add the brown sugar. Stew until the banana softens.
Wait till the sugar water thickens and turn off the heat.
Put a serving of the saba in a bowl. Add a little sugar water and top with almond milk.
Add the sliced fruit and nuts on top and seve.
* option: To make a halo halo type of meal, cool the saba. When cool, add shaved ice before serving
* For a decadent dessert, add a scoop of vegan ice cream!